Tuesday, November 13, 2007

At Work...



A bodo lady's daily bread. These are the fresh reeds (stalk) of Ekhra 'Eryanthus' (Elephant grass) which can hide an elephant. A dominant species of the Terai grass community, found presently in patches in Manas and parts of Kaziranga NP. Looking at her fragile structure I tried..my hands on lifting that bunch.. I could not even move it an inch!!

They do their cat walk (~15km) with a head load of ~50kg everyday to build their houses or sell it in market..at Rs10 per bundle !!

'Ekhra huts' can withstand the storm and floods of Assam.. Amazing isn't it?Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

~ ॐ ~ said...

hmm.. this is pretty interesting...

keep sharing information like this please...

and pictures too :)

Lakshmi said...

Hi..lovely pics..thanks for visiting my blog .I have been to kaziranga and also to Tawang in Arunachal ..just loved both

I am said...

@ thanks Om and Backpacker..